Unpaid medical bills and wages from workers’ comp?

Workers Compensation
Workers Compensation

Are you getting the run-around from the workers’ comp insurance adjuster for a work-related injury? Frustrating, isn’t it?

Darren Shoen with the Law Office of Darren Shoen is a lawyer for injured workers in Virginia and knows exactly what you need to do.

Here are some practical tips.

1) Immediately, notify your employer of your injury and file a claim with the state agency. In Virginia, you can file a claim for benefits with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission based in Richmond online, by phone, or by mail. If you do not file soon, you may be forever prevented from getting benefits.

2) Get medical care after the accident, even if your claim has been denied or you do not have insurance. Remember to tell the doctor, assistant, or nurse about all of your pains, injuries, etc. It’s vital to have medical records documenting your injuries to receive law protection.

3) Get legal help right away. Find an experienced, knowledgeable attorney and meet with them. Consultations are often free of charge. Do not worry about upsetting the insurance company or your employer. You must protect yourself. Who else will?

These are some of the basics to remember if you’ve been hurt at work. Keep in mind that everyone’s case is different, and details may vary. However, these steps are a good place to start if you or a loved one find yourself in this situation.

The statements contained herein are for general information purposes only and are not considered specific legal advice to your situation as Mr. Shoen would need to meet with you individually to ensure client confidentiality and would need additional information not provided in this article. This article does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult directly with an attorney for legal advice.

Free Workers' Compensation Case Evaluations

Contact Us

Hello, my name is


I am interested in having a free workers' compensation case evaluation. Please contact me at: